Thursday, February 24, 2011

Maple Syrup Time

Here in NY the sap is running.  When I was a girl my sister and I would take our hand drill, our spickets, and any container that would hold sap and tap a few trees in the woods.  We would strain it through old bandannas and cook it on the wood stove.  Yum Yum Yum!!!!!  These days I just buy it when I can.  I recently bought a gallon of Grade A Medium Amber - a bit too dark for my taste so I have been baking with it too.  I made these yummy tarts for my family over the weekend. 
Some of these are apple and the others are Maple Syrup pecan tarts.  They are similar to pecan pie but with a maple twist. 

Maple Syrup Tarts
12 unbaked pie crust tarts (I made mine in muffin tins and only got 11)
1 egg
1 cup real maple syrup
1 TB. melted butter
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 TB. lemon juice
1/2 c. nuts

Mix all together pour into tarts 2/3 full.  Bake 375 for 20-25 mins.  I let them cool a bit and then placed them into muffin papers.   Enjoy.  We all loved these.

No comments:

Post a Comment