Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cold and Snowy, Make baked Oatmeal

Nothing too exciting to look at, but oh so very yummy.  I am not a fan of cooked oatmeal and neither is my son.  I love granola, but sometimes it is a bit tiresome to chew, so this is what we like.  I bake it very thin, I use my rectangle pizza pan or you could use a jelly roll pan.


 I lift it up with a spatula, crumble in the bowl and pour milk over top, and nut, raisins, whatever.  I don't add any extra sugar.  You could eat it plan but it does crumble a bit.  The original recipe says to bake it in a 9x13 pan, which I am guessing would be easier to cut it and eat it that way.  You can play around with the recipe.  I use half the sugar and instead of butter use half the amount in oil.  Sometimes I put in a banana or applesauce in place of some of the oil.  I did find out that quick oats are better for little ones, the old fashion tend to be too chewy.  Enjoy!!

Baked Oatmeal
3 c. oats
1c. brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp.  baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
2 eggs
1/2 c. melted butter
2 tsp. vanilla
dried fruit or nuts optional

Mix together pour into greased 9x13 or pizza pan.  Bake 350 25- 40 mins depending on thickness/ or until it is firm to the touch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment